Sunday 9 June 2013

Event 6 - Swedish Champs Long


The training plan that was put in place 6 weeks ago said that todays race should be Z3 HR rather than maximum intensity. After the middle distance I was feeling really motivated. I mean super super motivated. I wanted to go and kick ass there and then! HJ and I discussed the plan, and I decided to wait until morning before making a decision on how to approach the race.

D21 Part 1
I'm glad I did, because this morning I woke up feeling lethargic and tired. So I put my racing Diamant away and got out the training Scott bike. I like each time I sit on the Diamant, for me to be mentally ready and motivated to win. This morning I wasn't feeling the motivation so much so riding the Scott was a good way for me to keep my HR down and back off the pace a bit.

I did a short warm up. No sprints or high intensity efforts, just a little pedalling to get warm. But during this pedalling I realised, that despite feeling tired I actually felt strong. I decided to stick to the plan, back off the intensity and focus on flowing navigation and good route choices.

The first few controls were steady, by number 6 I was in 3rd and 3 minutes down. I spent time in advance moving the A3 map in my Orifix board, so I could think about the coming route choices. After yesterday and missing the road option, I went along the road no.7, about a minute slower than the straightest option, but this one had a steep difficult descent and climb. My route was flat and easy. Had I been biking to maximum I think this route would have been 40 seconds or so faster.

I turned the map just after no.7 and used the same return to route to no.8 so I could plan ahead again. No.9 I went around the road as I didn't know the quality of the dotted path. But since no.9 was at the top of the hill (a sandy hill) I took the dotted path back to the road on the way to no.10. I think I got these routes right as I had the fastest times here (of the SM women). Again to no.10 I had the fastest time, despite maintaining the same pace!

No.11 felt like another crux RC leg. I chose to stay to what I knew, as there didn't seem to be much in the routes anyway. I stuck on the flat track, went past one of yesterdays controls and out onto the slow track (where I knew part of it had compact sand at the edge). I gambled the rest of the track was a similar good condition. I also wanted to avoid going past the marsh on the east RC as there were more contours here and thus more climb. From my track I had a small climb but a direct line in and not much thinking. Again, I had the fastest time here!

D21 Part 2
After that it was straightforward navigation for a few controls. The first control after the map change was a leg I had planned the night before and felt would be logical after the map change! I knew I had to go towards the ravine but then take the path that clipped the top of it, rather than getting muddled on the others. Fastest time.

The final sections of the course were a bit of a sprint. I climbed the hill and would have have another good split, but I stopped to remove a stick from my wheel, and then overshot the control which was on a parallel path. Should have seen this while riding on the road but let's face it - I switched off a little!
D21 Part 3

Then some urban controls with some split times mixing with the fastest.

I was 4.5 mins behind Cecilia at the first map change, and pulled back another 90 secs in the second half. My HR data shows I did keep a moderate pace throughout and didn't speed up after the map change. The course was mostly Z3/Z4, and this was a good mental and navigational performance. To only be 4 mins behind the winner from Denmark over such a fast course (the majority was on fast roads and tracks), I am pleased with this!

Another 2nd place in SM, but 5th today including the open classes. The result should have been higher with another maximum performance but I'll take it for now. The European Champs next week are the focus. I would rather be recovered in 2 days than in 5 days (had the race been max, based on last weeks recovery times).