Friday 7 December 2012

Ski-O. Season begins!

Having finally reached a grand total of 6 weeks skiing in two years, with 3 ski-o events, I was a little anxious about the first races of the season in Saariselka, Finland. Flying up to Ivalo airport in Lapland, we were met by the cold. I was immediately grateful for my warm snug Craft kit, and armed with thermal trousers, thermals, hats, down jacket, ski trousers and mittens, I braved the cold.

I felt as if I had steadily been improving my skiing and my balance was considerably better than at the beginning of the Val Senales trip. But downhills are still scary. And corners still require a snow plough so I was concerned at how I would manage on the narrow ski-o tracks, where penguin steps are difficult!

My goal for the season is to not finish last in one race. In early 2011, I was more than 200% of the winners time. Earlier this year, I was 180%, so I knew with more practice I could only improve.

Sadly I didn't realise that controls might be placed close together on the same path, and I mispunched. BUT, I would have beaten an Italian by 3 minutes! The middle distance was ok, not as hard as I imagined. I made it up the hills, despite being shouted at by everyone passing me. I've no idea what they were saying, but I'm guessing it wasn't a polite conversation they were continuing as they skied on up the hills. I know I'm not a fast skier, or particularly good one. I move out of the way as fast as I can, and let's not forget that while I'm not winning, I'm still trying not to be last. I had to contend on several occasions by the other skiers pushing me out of the way, because I wasn't in control of my ski's enough to move a quickly as they wanted. 

Middle distance map:



The next day, we moved onto the long distance. An 18km epic. From the start I was last, but it didn't stay that way. As I came up the hill to control 2 I met a couple of lost girls. They caught me up at 5/6 and then I made a mistake and lost them good. But the signs are there that things are improving. My cornering practice in Italy, has improved my cornering skills no end, and I'm now confident enough to skate around corners. Steep downhills still require a snow plough though!

I finished in 1:49 and the winners in 1:09 so much less than 200% of the winner :-) I was exhausted at the finish, mainly due to picking up the map and thinking it was long enough and there would be no map change. So from 6 onwards I was sprinting my feeble arms off (the narrow tracks mean it's difficult to skate and thus the arms are used!) to catch up the Italians, but I was mystified when I wasn't allowed to finish. I was then handed a new map and realised I had to go back up the big hill and do the other gaffles! So the last half of the course was seriously tough, and my arms burned! My core gave up and with it went my remaining speed! Lesson learned, don't sprint from 25% of the course.

Long distance map (my gaffling was: A, C, B, D)